Roasted Garlic, Pumpkin & Leek Soup
- 2 cups pumpkin purée
- 1 head garlic
- 2 stalks leek
- 2 cups chicken broth (more if needed)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350F. Roast garlic cloves drizzled with olive oil on a baking pan for about 35 minutes.
- Discard the dark green part of the leek. Cut the stalks lengthwise. Rinse under water to remove any dirt. Roughly chop.
- Heat up a pan on medium high heat. Add a bit of olive oil and chopped leek. Stir fry for about 5 minutes until soft and starting to colour.
- Reduce the heat to medium low. Add pumpkin purée and roasted garlic. Stir for about 30 seconds and add 1 cup chicken broth. Using an immersion blender, mix until smooth.
- Gradually add the rest of the broth and the milk until you like the consistency.
- Season with cayenne pepper and salt.
The Way It Is turned 2 today!
"- Christian Wiman, from “Music Maybe,” Once in the West by Christian Wiman, (Farrar, straus, & Giroux, 2014) reviewed by Caitlin Mackenzie at The Rumpus (via apoetreflects)
Too many elegies elevating sadness
to a kind of sad religion:
one wants in the end just once to befriend
one’s own loneliness,
to make of the ache of inwardness—
Cheese Toasts: with Pesto, Arugula, Avocado and Mozzarella
- 2 slices toast bread (you can use any other bread)
- 2 tbsp pesto
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese
- handful fresh rucola
- ¼ avocado, sliced
- 2 tbsp goat cheese, crumbled
- olive oil
Spread 1 tbsp of pesto on each slice of the bread. On one slice place cheese, avocado, goat cheese, rucola, cover with a second slice of cheese and top it with second slice of bread. Press together gently.
To make it delicious you should toast it. To do so heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a frying pan over medium low heat and fry the sandwich until bread is golden brown. Press down on the sandwich lightly, then flip the sandwich over and cook until second side is golden brown.
Cheese lovers toasted snack